RE: Is there a UNIX socket test client program (a la NetCat)?

> It probably depends on what you want to do, and the examples
> section of the man page is a good place to look.  It could be
> as simple as:
>
> socat - UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/foo.sock
>
> That should connect stdin/stdout to the socket, in the same
> way as netcat.  socat really just boils down to specifying
> two things to connect together, and each of those can be any
> of the various types and take a myriad of options.

That is precisely what I wanted to do -- and even though I
believe that I had tried this there was a syntax error in
both my cygrunsrv defintion for spfd AND in my socat - commands.

Once I knew this was the syntax for socat then I concentrated
better on looking for errors (missing ":" colon between the
connect and the file socket name.)

Thanks once again.

Now, I have a way to test for such silly errors on my part and
for general functioning of UNIX-type sockets (and a bunch of
other stuff as well.)

This really is a big help.

Being rather new to Posix style systems, the unix-socket stuff
was too much of a black box without some type of test tool.

--
Herb Martin