Re: setup.exe filename

On 8/7/05, Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Just in case it matters, unless Corinna disagrees, we won't be changing
> the name to something other than setup.exe.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Stick with setup.exe!  There are
probably tens of thousands of little scripts written that does
something like:

wget -c http://cygwin.com/setup.exe && ./setup.exe

Changing the name will force all of them to revise the scripts---for
no apparent gain!

> The notion that changing
> the name to something else will make users understand how to use
> setup.exe is not one that I adhere to.

Whatever you change the name to, there will be people complaining.
And remember, the users of Cygwin are those who want to use things
like tr(1), cat(1), awk(1), gcc(1), or even perl(1).  Surely they
understand things like the file systems, directory structures, and the
naming of executables.

--
Weiqi Gao (高为奇)
weiqigao@gmail.com