Re: Fwd: Outbound telnet/ftp from cygwin not working

Michael Rilling wrote:

> After doing a lot more googleing, I've stumbled upon this fix.  Wonder
> if you know about this issue?
>
> In regedit go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
> edit DataBasePath change %SystemRoot% to its real value (on mine its
> C:\WINDOWS)  Don't know why but this fixed my issue.
>
> Let me know if you've heard this before.

This happens when something edits the registry and changes that key
from  REG_EXPAND_SZ to REG_SZ.  %-variables are only expanded in keys of
type REG_EXPAND_SZ.  You should find that by default Windows uses
%SystemRoot% and REG_EXPAND_SZ so everything works fine.  It's only when
some brain-dead program or installer mucks about with that key and
changes it to a regular string that you have a problem.

And this will only matter to programs that call getservbyname(), which
these days are very far and few between.  telnet is one though.

Brian