Re: Proposed FAQ in DocBook

At 11:13 AM 8/4/2005, you wrote:
>On 8/4/05, Larry Hall  wrote:
>> At 01:15 AM 8/4/2005, you wrote:
>> >You can link to named sections, for example
>> >http://staff.washington.edu/joshuadf/cygwin/new-faq.html#faq.install.disk-space
>> >
>> Just one question.  How does one determine what the names are for the
>> named sections?  I assume each question has one but I'm not familiar
>> enough with how DocBook works to know how to determine these names.
>
>Yes, as noted they're in the HTML in <a name="..."> tags..., converted from
>DocBook's id="..." There will of course be a Table of Contents with links so
>you don't have to look at the HTML to determine this.

Ah, OK.  That's what I was looking for.  I just didn't see it in the page
you generated so I was concerned that there wouldn't be an easy way to
find this for cut-and-paste purposes in email responses. I don't know
why I thought this aspect would elude you though. ;-)

>> Assuming this new style FAQ replaces the old, I'd recommend putting this
>> one in a new spot and keeping the old, at least for a while, so that
>> references to the old in the archive still work.
>
>No problem, the old files are things like faq1.html, these will be
>faq.using.html
>and the like.
>
>And, as someone else noted, it will be relatively easy to get .info files using
>docbook2x (that's already done for the User's Guide).

Sounds great!  I'm already anticipating the roll-out. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746