Cannot write files if they are hidden

I've noticed that I am unable to write files with the Windows 'Hidden'
attribute from vi and xemacs. If I use Windows to remove the Hidden
attribute, I can write the file from vi; If I add the attribute back, I
cannot write anymore (I get "Can't open file for writing" in vi).

Interestingly, "touch hiddenfile" and "echo something >> hiddenfile" do
work. "echo something > hiddenfile" does not; it prints "Permission
denied".

This has been tested on Cygwin 1.5.12 (see attached cygcheck.out) and
the 20050716 snapshot (see attached cygcheck_20050716.out). Both show
the same behavior.

Is there any reason why a file should *not* be written to if it has the
Hidden attribute?

Thanks,
--
Bryan Thrall