Re: emacs issues

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> One of them is that C-x C-c does not work by default when emacs is run
> in the Cygwin terminal. It seems that to solve this CYGWIN needs to
> contain "tty", but that does not work by default.
> One way to solve this would be to move the emacs binary to
> /usr/libexec and make /usr/bin/emacs a shell script:

This is documented in the emacs README.  Setting CYGWIN=tty by default
would have various other unwanted side effects (such as poor
interactions with pure windows console programs.)  So, the user has to
set it himself.

> #!/bin/bash
> # maybe add a test and do this iff $TERM == cygwin
> CYGWIN=tty /usr/bin/libexec/emacs $*
> # reset is needed because otherwise the terminal seems to be left
> # in a strange state after exiting emacs.
> reset

No, this will not work.  The setting must be made before the session is
started, i.e. before the first bash is executed.  Otherwise, the console
is already created and it's too late to change that.

> C-SPC does not work in a Cygwin terminal. Is there a way to fix this?

I would suggest rxvt.  Personally, I use the "CMD.EXE prompt" as little
as possible (i.e., not at all) with Cygwin because frankly, it sucks
hard.  I suspect that I am not alone.

Brian