Re: ssh problems

At 02:32 AM 7/19/2005, you wrote:
>I did the additional chown, and my username is a mamber of the
>administrators group, but I'm still getting the same error (1053).  Is
>there any log file or something that will hint at the problem?

Only /var/log/sshd.log but this really only provides information if
sshd is running.  Worth a check though.

>The
>event viewer is not helping --
>
>  The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be
>  found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
>  information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
>  computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
>  this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
>  information is part of the event: sshd : PID 812 : starting service
>  `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted.

So it appears there's still a permission problem.  Try running sshd
directly yourself now.  You can also run it under strace to see if
the output points at something interesting (please don't sent the
entire output of strace to the list though - only send a piece if
you believe there's something interesting or relevant - if you're
not pretty sure, don't bother).

As a last resort, you can try adding the other permissions listed in
'/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README' to your user name and see if
this helps.  I actually did this first and then backed off these
permissions once I got it working until I found the minimal set I
needed but maybe Windows wasn't giving up some privileges I gave,
or at least not without a reboot (which I didn't do).

Holliston, MA 01746