Re: chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - NEW FINDINGS

According to FischRon.external <AT> infineon <DOT> com on 7/12/2005 8:18 AM:

[Hmm, you still haven't set your emailer to use an outgoing name, and I
still don't know how to make Thunderbird supress raw email addresses in
that case.]

>>Cygwin 1.3.22?  Wow, that's old, and unsupported!  And in two places,
>>C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll and c:\Program
>>Files\OpenSSH\bin\cygwin1.dll?
>>That's just asking for trouble!  You can probably just delete
>>the Program
>>Files\OpenSSH version, then update your installation using setup.exe
>>(there have been so many bugs fixed between 1.3.22 and 1.5.17 that it
>>isn't even funny), before any other help from this list will
>>be useful.
>>And who knows, doing the update may even resolve your issue
>>with chmod, so
>>use the unexpected behavior of chmod as your justification that your
>>system is no longer a running system.
>

> Well, I've upgraded now, but still same effect wrt chmod.....
>
> What else could I try to do?

For starters, http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE.  Not to sound mean, but
I will not answer any more of your emails sent directly to me in regards
to cygwin questions; I will only answer emails sent to the list (assuming
I have an answer).

It sounds like your chmod is having problems with permissions, just like
the rest of your emails to the list about installation problems have
hinted at.  Somehow, the user id you are running as under cygwin does not
have the same rights to edit a file as when you create files using Windows
means, which means that somewhere in your file system hierarchy, there is
a strange or restrictive permissions setting.  And if /etc/group and
/etc/passwd don't recognize your user and group names yet, you are also
going to have problems.

I'm not an expert at ACLs, but a good test case that someone on the list
might be able to help you debug is if you were to post a side-by-side
example of two files, one where you can chmod and the other where you
can't, along with the output of getfacl for those two files and
recursively up the hierarchy for every directory that contains those two
files, as well as the output of id.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net