RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade (Attn: User's Guide maintainer)

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> > Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set it
> > for a reason.  There's no need to Cc: me on the messages, as I read
> > the list.
>
> Thank you for pointing this out! It's done correct now.

Yes it is.  Thank you for noticing and correcting the problem -- you'd be
surprised how many don't.

> > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:
> > > I found that all in a while, a file created under cygwin ends up
> > > with permission 000...
> >
> > This usually indicates wrong directory permissions on higher-level
> > directories.  Could you please post the output of "getfacl /usr
> > /usr/share /usr/share/misc" (seeing as you've already posted the
> > output of "getfacl /").
>
> ~ $ getfacl /usr /usr/share /usr/share/misc
> # file: /usr
> # owner: Administrators
> # group: mkpasswd
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> user::rwx
> group::---
  ^^^^^^^^^^
> group:SYSTEM:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:---
> default:user:Administrators:rwx
> default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
> default:mask:rwx
>
> # file: /usr/share
> # owner: Administrators
> # group: mkpasswd
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> user::rwx
> group::---
  ^^^^^^^^^^
> group:SYSTEM:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:---
> default:user:Administrators:rwx
> default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
> default:mask:rwx
>
> # file: /usr/share/misc
> # owner: fischron
> # group: Users
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> group:SYSTEM:rwx
> group:Administrators:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:rwx
> default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
> default:group:Administrators:rwx
> default:mask:rwx
>
> Looks correct, doesn't it?

Well, the underlined lines above (those that say "group: mkpasswd") do
look problematic -- your /etc/passwd and /etc/group aren't up-to-date.
I'd investigate what the actual group of those files is, and regenerate
your mkpasswd (are you in a domain, by any chance?).

The other underlined lines ("group:---") may be a problem too, just
because the directories are owned by a Windows *group*.  It's also
possible that the ownership by a group confuses directory permission
inheritance, so that you end up with 000 permissions plus a couple of
ACLs (that aren't picked up by Unix tools like "stat"/"test").

> > > Nothing useful. man.sh is mentioned only once:
> > >
> > >     Installing file cygfile:///etc/postinstall/man.sh
> >
> > Very weird.  So the postinstall script didn't run?
>
> The log file has a lot of lines saying "Installing file .....
> postinstall ....", but at the end, when it comes to actually running the
> postinstall files, I see in the log only the following:
>
> 2005/07/04 12:33:17 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/cron.sh
> 2005/07/04 12:33:19 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh
> 2005/07/04 12:33:19 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/d.sh
> 2005/07/04 12:33:20 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/emacs.sh
> 2005/07/04 12:33:25 mbox note: Installation Complete
> 2005/07/04 12:33:28 Ending cygwin install
>
> Just to mention a few, the following postinstall files were *not* run
> according to the log file:
>
> cygfile:///etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh

This one did, but didn't complete.

> cygfile:///etc/postinstall/man.sh
> cygfile:///etc/postinstall/pdksh.sh
> cygfile:///etc/postinstall/wget.sh
> cygfile:///etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh

Yep, these didn't run.  There are more in your postinstall directory
below.

> and many, many more.

I noticed that your log has many "Scheduled reboot replacement" lines --
you had Cygwin processes running while installing.  I suspect the problem
with postinstall scripts is that the emacs one popped up some Windows
message boxes (e.g., "Entrypoint... not found"), and thus setup didn't run
the others.

Did setup recommend that you reboot?  Did you?
I've always though the on-reboot-replacement policy is annoying.  This
shows that it may be incorrect as well.

> Do you recommend that I run all the other postinstall scripts manually,
> like I did with man.sh?

After a reboot, yes, I'd suggest running the scripts (you may even try
reinstalling the affected packages via setup).  See below for a list.

> > > The only thing which might look like an error message does not seem
> > > related to the man problem:
> > >
> > >    2005/07/04 12:27:54 zsh
> > >    2005/07/04 12:27:54 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh
> > >    Unknown system type ; exiting
> >
> > That's even weirder.  What does "uname -a" show?  You should not get
> > that message on Win2k Pro (as your previously attached cygcheck output
> > indicates).
>
> CYGWIN_NT-5.0 mucw0291 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) 2005-07-02 20:30 i686 unknown
> unknown Cygwin

Extremely weird.  Could it be the same problem (some utility exited
producing no output because of the wrong current versions of files)?

> > > I guess you mean: /etc/postinstall/man.sh  - there is no file
> > > /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done
> >
> > No, I meant /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done, since I didn't realize that
> > the postinstall script didn't run.
>
> But there is no file of this name!

Yes, I know -- that's why I said "I didn't realize the postinstall script
didn't run".

> ~ $ ls /etc/postinstall
> XFree86-fenc.sh.done                 lynx.sh
> XFree86-fnts.sh.done                 man.sh
> XFree86-lib.sh.done                  passwd-grp.sh
> XFree86-xserv.sh.done                passwd-grp.sh.done
> base-files-mketc.sh.done             pdksh.sh
> base-files-profile.sh.done           pinfo.sh
> bzip2.sh.done                        pinfo.sh.done
> cron.sh.done                         post-texmf.sh
> cygwin-doc-postinstall.sh.done       readline.sh.done
> cygwin-doc.sh.done                   terminfo.sh
> d.sh.done                            terminfo.sh.done
> emacs.sh                             tidy.sh
> enscript.sh                          tidy.sh.done
> enscript.sh.done                     update-info-dir.sh
> fontconfig.sh                        update-info-dir.sh.done
> freetype2.sh                         wget.sh
> gcc-mingw-core-3.4.4-20050522-1.tgz  xorg-x11-fenc.sh
> gcc-mingw-core.sh                    xorg-x11-fnts.sh
> gcc-mingw-java-3.4.4-20050522-1.tgz  xorg-x11-libs-data.sh
> gcc-mingw-java.sh                    xorg-x11-xwin.sh
> libgdbm-devel.sh.done                zsh-profile.sh

Ok, so you need to run all the ones that end in .sh, and rename them to
.done (while overwriting the old versions).  If you make a note of which
scripts need running, and set those packages to "Reinstall" in setup,
setup will do this for you.

> > If you still haven't run setup since that fateful man installation
>
> no, I didn't

Good.  The file was actually very helpful.  Perhaps we could offer general
advice in the User's Guide section on setup to back up that file in case
of any installation problems.

> > (or if you kept a separate copy of it), please post
> > /var/log/setup.log.full to the list -- something weird happened during
> > your install, and, hopefully, the log will show it.
>
> I've attached it gzipped.
>
> > Hmm, hopefully the Cygwin security experts will chime in here.  All I
> > can tell is the fact that the directory is owned by a group, and that
> > you have default permissions, looks suspicious.  Does your /etc/passwd
> > contain the Administrators user?
>
> Yes, it does:
>
> ~ $ fgrep Administrators /etc/passwd
> Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::

Actually, the permissions may not be to blame here -- if the postinstall
script didn't run, it couldn't *possibly* replace the file, no matter what
the permissions.  Looks like it's setup's fault this time.

This is an interesting problem, thanks for helping debug this.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT