Re: How to make DLLs in cygwin for MSVC and BCB

Max Kaehn wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 18:18 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>>  Sorry, but why isn't that 4k at the *TOP* of the stack?  It sure looks
>>that way to me, unless cygwin stacks grow upward!
>
> You're mixing the metaphors. :-)  The top of a stack is where you push
> something down onto the stack.  The bottom of the stack is at the
> other end.  There happens to be an implementation detail of stacks
> growing downward in memory, so the bottom of the stack is at the top
> of the memory allocated to the stack.  I always found that puzzling,
> too...

Reminds me of the probably apocryphal WWII story about a new type of
tank shell.  Normal shells are always crated with the sharp-end up, but
the new ones were unsafe stored that way.  The boxes were marked
"To avoid confusion, the bottom of these crates has been marked TOP."

-- Cliff