Re: mounting network shares to make it persistent.

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Jun 23 11:47, Monkey Pet wrote:

I want to be able to access a resource (aka map) and make it available
the next time a user logs into ssh. I am using cywin with the open
ssh server.

I would like know answers to the following questions:
1. Can mount be given a username/password and domain?

No.

2. Is the net use command the correct command to use in the
cgywin environment.

Yes.

3. Any attempts to mount before starting ssh will not be
acceptable since the network shares will change from time to time.
Everything needs to be done over ssh for automation.

Here is an example:

ssh administrator@ip
net use z: \\\\share\\fs2 password /USER:qadomain\\Administrator /PERSISTENT:No
(Share is available and accessible)
(logout)

ssh administrator@ip
(share is gone)

Now do the following:
net use z: \\\\share\\fs2 password /USER:qadomain\\Administrator /PERSISTENT:No
mount \\\share\\fs2 /test
(Share is available and accessible)
(logout)

ssh again
(share exists, but can't access directory until I do the "net use")

I'm running sshd on Windows XP and I don't have to enter net use all the time. The share is stored and accessible until reboot. But I don't use a drive letter at all, this might make a difference.

net use \\\\server\\share /USER:domain\\user passwd

I've never quite understood the fascination with drive letters. They are limited and they can change. Instead of doing something like:

$ net use z: \\\\server\\share /user:domain\\user passwd
$ more z:/file.txt

just do

$ more //share/fs2/file.txt

Or:

$ export z=//share/fs2
$ more $z/file.txt

If you just hate typing. (BTW: Use forward slashes - they work. IOW \\\\server\\share == //server/share! Caveat: Forward slashes work just find for Cygwin executables. The net use command, for example, is a Windows command and gets confused with forward slashes as it uses that for the options indicator - e.g. /user)

Benefit: Don't have to waste a drive letter. Also, if the drive letter is taken on this system (e.g. z is already mapped) you don't have to worry about it! Finally, the reference is exact and unambiguous!

--
Consider, the Bible was written by the same people who said the Earth was flat.