Re: Windows rights

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Christophe DELARUE wrote:

> Hi cygwinner.
>
> I try to use cygwin to make remote compilation on a windows machine. I
> installed inetd.  I've got a problem with my rights (id -a) when I am
> on the target hosts named myServerCygwin. They differ when I type my
> password or not (auto login).
>

> 1) First problem
> ****************
>
> I put in my remote hosts
> -------------------- //pchomesrv02/Home$/chrdelar/.rhosts : --------------------
> myUnixMachine
> I put in my local host
> -------------------- /home/chrdelar/.rhosts : --------------------
> myServerCygwin
>
> When I rlogin on myServerCygwin from myUnixMachine, the password is
> required. ... seems the //pchomesrv02/Home$/chrdelar/.rhosts is not
> viewed
>
> Once rlogged on the cygwin server, if I rlogin on my Unix machine, no
> password is asked. Thus I think the .rhost are well written.
>
> There is an other login foobar on the myServerCygwin with a home in
> /home/foobar ... not on the network. With this login, the rlogin
> recognizes the .rhosts and do not ask for a password.
>
> The inetd service is owned by LocalSystem.
>
> Why the .rhosts on the network is not recognized ?
>
> 2) Second problem
> *****************
>
> Thus I tried an other way to make rsh work without asking password. I
> create myServerCygwin:/etc/hosts.equiv and put a line containing
> myUnixMachine.
>
> rlogin myServerCygwin : no password is asked ... Yes Yes yes .. I WON
> ... arghhhh
>
> The rights are not good. (see below rlogin connection trace below). I
> check with foobar login. With no /etc/hosts.equiv but a good .rhosts,
> the rights are also broken.
>
> Why are my rights not the same with I rlogin using my password
> explicitely and with no password configuration ?
>
> I put the telnet connection which allow me to have the rights I'd like
> to have.
>
> I spent hours reading docs, surfing web ...

Same problem in both cases.  Read all of
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html>, especially the part titled
"Switching User Context", carefully.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT