Compiling Apache2 with Cygwin

Crossposted from Apache-users:

For the last couple of days, I've been trying to get Apache 2.0.54 to
compile in a Cygwin environment.  Depending various config options, I
receive various levels of success.  The configure line I'm using is:

./configure --enable-module=so --prefix=/usr
--enable-mods-shared="access actions alias asis auth auth_anon
auth_dbm auth_digest auth_ldap autoindex cache cern_meta cgi cgid
charset_lite dav dav_fs deflate dir disk_cache dumpio echo env example
expires ext_filter file_cache headers imap include info ldap
log_config log_forensic logio mime mime_magic negotiation proxy
proxy_connect proxy_ftp proxy_http rewrite setenvif speling ssl status
unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias"

(Before I'm asked...I do use a fair number of those modules, mostly
for testing, some for "production".  Since they're dynamic I've just
learned it's easier to install 'em all at first and not worry about it
later.)

If I run it as is, it fails trying to compile util_ldap.  The error is
"apr-util is necessary to compile util_ldap".  I installed the latest
apr and apr-util from the Apache site, but still get the error.

If I specify --with-apr=/usr/bin/apr-config
--with-apr-util=/usr/bin/apr-config, mod_ldap fails to compile with
undeclared references to _apr_sha1_something and _apr_md5_decode.  In
other words, it's not finding apr_sha1.h or apr_md5.h (both are
located in /usr/include).

If I specify --with-apr=/usr & --with-apr-util=/usr, it compiles, but
the modules are not compiled properly.  I get mod_*.la & mod_*.a
files, rather than .so files and I can't load them.  When running make
install, I see "Warning!  dlname not found in
/usr/modules/mod_actions.la.  Assuming installing a .so rather than a
libtool archive." for every module.

BZAG on the Apache list replied: Not finding header files that are
clearly in your include path makes me think some silly thing is going
on like file protections or permissioning.  Just a thought for you to
double-check on.

So I...

Okay, I've chown -R myuser:Users /  followed by a chmod -R 777 * just
to get it working.

I tried recompiling, and it failed to compile because "ldap requires
apr-util", which I installed prior to starting all of this.  I decided
to remove auth_ldap and ldap from configure, again just to get it
working.  My configure:

./configure  --with-apr=/usr --with-apr-util=/usr --enable-module=so
--prefix=/usr --enable-mods-shared="access actions alias asis auth
auth_anon auth_dbm auth_digest autoindex cache cern_meta cgi cgid
charset_lite dav dav_fs deflate dir disk_cache dumpio echo env example
expires ext_filter file_cache headers imap include info log_config
log_forensic logio mime mime_magic negotiation proxy proxy_connect
proxy_ftp proxy_http rewrite setenvif speling ssl status unique_id
userdir usertrack vhost_alias"

It compiles this way, however again the modules compile as .la files.
The error I get when it's trying to install is:

Warning! dlname not found in /usr/modules/mod_proxy.la.  Assuming
installing a so rather than a libtool archive.   If I attempt to start
(via apachectl start), I get "cannot load /usr/modules/mod_mime.la
into server: dlopen, Win32 error 193".  I've found some solutions on
Google, but they're all for PHP, and very specific to fixing that one
issue.  I've found nothing of use to this problem.

Perhaps the Cygwin folks have an idea?

Thanks,
-T