Re: Compiling memtest from sources on cygwin

Cliff Hones wrote:

Not really on topic, and a quick google finds this:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5477/6mkuavhre?a=view

so .previous is accepted by Sun's x86 assembler.  I can't see
any reference to .prefix in the Gnu assembler manual however
(google for "gnu gas manual") - so I guess the memtest86
people may well be using Sun's.

Since .previous just reselects the previous section  it wouldn't
be difficult to edit the source (head.S) to manually reselect
the section.

BTW - the makefile uses head.s and head.S as separate files - so
to work under Cygwin you will need to use a managed mount.

-- Cliff

Hi, Cliff.

Thank you for prompt response. I have just installed my ancient copy of Fedora and there 'make all' of memtest works OK. I also found '.previous' in 'info as' (on cygwin):

`.previous'
===========

   This is one of the ELF section stack manipulation directives.  The
others are `.section' (*note Section::), `.subsection' (*note
SubSection::), `.pushsection' (*note PushSection::), and `.popsection'
(*note PopSection::).

   This directive swaps the current section (and subsection) with most
recently referenced section (and subsection) prior to this one.
Multiple `.previous' directives in a row will flip between two sections
(and their subsections).

   In terms of the section stack, this directive swaps the current
section with the top section on the section stack.

And since cygwin works under Windows I suspect, that cygwin people setup the 'as' program to support windows loader. Now I am thinking -- should I go to linux, or stay with cygwin. Actually I need to write a small program, which works on bare metall w/o any o/s.

Thank you again.

Alexei