Re: POSIX devices

Carlo Florendo wrote:
> Oliver Vecernik wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'd like to inspect some MBR's from various devices. I have an external
>>Firewire disk (x:), an USB stick (e:) and a flash card (F:, pcmcia).

<snip>

>>But how do I know the order of device names? It all depends when the
>>devices are plugged on to the system. Is there a command to find out?
>>
>>dd if=/dev/sd? of=/tmp/foo bs=512 count=1
>>

> AFAIK, Cygwin does not implement the /dev directory.
>
> I'm afraid there is no cygwin command to find out the order of devices
> plugged to the system although I'd be glad if someone corrects me and
> says that there is.

There is. (or rather will be. I think it might be in the pipeline).
if you want to check it check
http://pinus.tt.ltu.se/~baf/dkoll.tgz
dkoll.c is cygwin source the rest is visual studio
build by make dkoll
dkoll.exe is the compiled cygwin version which gives on my system:

$ ./dkoll
Disk 0  cygwin=/dev/sda
dsig a853000400000080
Disksize 18GB
 part    len typ

Disk 1  cygwin=/dev/sdb
dsig a05f20122a744c01
Disksize 74GB
 part    len typ
    1   54MB 222 Dell system          Dell 4.1
    2   59GB   7 NTFS                 NTFS
    3  502MB  12 FAT 32 (xp)          MSWIN4.1
    4   13GB 131 Linux Native         ext3 LILO
    5  996MB 130 Linux Swap           SWAP

Disk 2  cygwin=/dev/sdc
dsig c282801c8e9ce5bf
Disksize 115GB
 part    len typ
    1  115GB 131 Linux Native         XFS

Disk 3  cygwin=/dev/sdd
dsig f99e600d8e82ca7b
Disksize 55GB
 part    len typ
    1   55GB   7 NTFS                 NTFS

Disk 4  cygwin=/dev/sde
dsig 7de080005cf52c49
Disksize 2.0GB
 part    len typ
    1  2.0GB 131 Linux Native         ext2

baf@bafstat3 ~/dkoll
$
so you get windows disk number. cygwin /ev/sdX disksize and partition size
plus a good guess of what filesystem it has. NOT always perfect.
The partition number is the the same as Y in /dev/sdXY
Hope this helps.

--
Bengt-Arne Fjellner
0910-58 53 69