From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Dave Korn
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 11:11 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: Install problems on XP with setup.exe

----Original Message----

-------------------------------<snip!>-------------------------------
-------------------------------<snip!>-------------------------------
-------------------------------<snip!>-------------------------------
-------------------------------<snip!>-------------------------------
> I've tried installing this on two drives:
> 	C: Is my local hard drive which is NTFS.
> 	U: Is a network drive which is also NTFS.
-------------------------------<snip!>-------------------------------

  Then I guess the one thing you haven't tried is downloading from a
different mirror!

  To be precise, you need to select one that uses FTP or HTTP.  Setup
isn't
capable of downloading from the rsync-based mirrors; they are listed in
mirrrors.txt for completeness, since they are valid cygwin mirrors, but
setup.exe only speaks ftp and http.  While some of the mirrors speak FTP
or
HTTP _and_ rsync, you still have to click on the listing for them that
begins with 'ftp://' or 'http://'; you can't use any of the URLs in the
mirror list that begin 'rsync://'

> Each time I run it I get the message: "Download Incomplete" when I
retry
> I get the "Download Incomplete" when I cancel I get the following info
> in a popup box:
>
> 	Fatal Error: Uncaught Exception
> 	Type: St16invalid_argument
> 	Message: URL Scheme not registered!

  The error message is, as you have noticed, not very good!  And of
course
setup.exe shouldn't even offer you the rsync:// mirrors in the mirror
list
if it can't download from them.  This is a known bug and the mirror list
will have the rsync entries correctly filtered out in the next release
of
setup.exe

    cheers,
      DaveK