Re: SSHD + mounted drives not working/seen ?

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Larry Hall wrote:

> >> OK, so then what was the point of this thread again?  I've read it through
> >> again from the beginning and I still can't figure out what, if anything,
> >> was the real problem that prompted you to post originally.
> >
> >I thought it might be something different cygwin was doing - plus
> >the only difference was whether or not I was in a ssh session if
> >I could view the shares or not. A handy link to the FAQ was provided,
> >thus showing me the /expected/ behaviour - which wasn't the behaviour
> >I was expecting.
> >
> >H9+Win2K+cygwin+sshd == visible network shares in a ssh session
> >H9+WinXP+cygwin+sshd == no visible network shares in a ssh session
> >
> >I'll let this thread die, I just wish I had more clues as to why
> >it's behaving different.
>
> Forgive me.  I'm full of cough syrup and misread your last post.  I
> see that you were saying it works fine with W2K and not XP.  For some
> reason I read that as it works fine with XP now.  My apologies.
>
> There's nothing inherently different going on for pubkey authentication
> under XP vs W2K.  Why the Hummingbird NFS shares show up at all in the
> W2K case is indeed a mystery.  For sshd run as a service via the SYSTEM
> user, as far as Windows authentication is concerned, SYSTEM is the current
> user for the ssh session.  SYSTEM does not have access to restricted shares
> so in general, you shouldn't be able to see them in the ssh session.  If
> you can see NFS shares but not Windows (SAMBA) restricted shares on Win2K,
> then this sounds like a Hummingbird thing to me.  In that case, as I
> mentioned before, I'd recommend you talk to Hummingbird.  If you can see
> Windows shares there, that's a different story.  If the problem is the
> former, then too much discussion of it on this list is off-topic (though
> we're certainly interested in hearing the results and/or solutions).  The
> talk list is a place where those interested could continue to discuss it,
> though I expect discussion isn't what's needed. ;-)  If the problem is
> actually the latter, well then that's on-topic here since it involves
> Cygwin and Windows, which everybody here has.

The OP mentioned earlier in the thread that Hummingbird allows caching and
using the username/password combinations for NFS mounts.  This makes me
think that even with public key authentication, the NFS driver should be
able to construct a valid access token.  I wonder if it could be some sort
of a local policy issue?

Matt, one thing to try is to eliminate sshd from the equation altogether:
try opening a system-owned bash shell (Google for it for instructions),
and see whether you can access the NFS drives from it.  If it doesn't
work, this is probably a Hummingbird NFS issue, and, as Larry said,
off-topic for this list.  If you can access shares from a system-owned
shell, but not via sshd, some further Cygwin debugging may be needed.
	Igor
P.S. Nice domain name. :-)
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT