Re: Can't get Exim to send mail

"Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org> writes:

>>I didn't check all your config but you are missing the most important
> part, you
>>should have under routers:
>>
>>begin routers
>>
>>smart_route:
>>   driver = manualroute
>>   transport = remote_smtp
>>   route_list = * smtp.rcn.com
>>

>>That's the first thing to change, worry later about timeouts or anything
> else.

yes, that's what was missing, thanks.  I actually got the answers in
this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/b4mzy
(http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3cjk4br6nulbs.fsf%40W003275.na.alarismed.com%3e)

But it's worth noting that the smart_route section is totally missing
(not even present but commented out) from the exim.conf that's
generated by exim-config and also from /etc/defaults/etc/exim.conf
That makes getting this right a lot harder than it should be.  Another
issue worth noting is that the docs for exim say the program is called
"eximconfig" rather than "exim-config" as is installed on Cygwin.

> - It would informative to see what happens when you send mail
>   to a specific user. e.g.
>     exim -d dave@boost-consulting.com
>   [exim will then expect input. Type a single Enter to use the default
>    headers, then type a test message. End with a single "." on a line. ]
>   B.t.w., the output "retry time not reached for any host" is probably
>   due to previous messages still timing out. Wipe out all files in
>   /var/spool/exim/db to get a clean slate.
>
> - You are not telling us what your isp forces you to do. If you must use
>   smtp.rcn.com (as suggested by René Berber),

That's right.

>   do you also need to authenticate yourself?

No, in fact, it's forbidden.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

--