RE: Problems with OpenSSH/Cygwin connectivity to Windows NT/2000 machines.

Ugh.  Top-posting.  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Subject: Re: Problems with OpenSSH/Cygwin connectivity to
> > Windows NT/2000 machines.
> >
> > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Tevfik Karagülle wrote:
> >
> > >  Hi,
> > >
> > > Are there essential differences between cygwin versions 1.5.14 and
> > > 1.5.17 regarding openssh authentication ?
> > >
> > > I have two test environments:
> > >
> > > 1) Cygwin 1.5.14, openssh 4.1p-1, openssl 0.9.7g
> > > 2) Cygwin 1.5.17, openssh 4.1p-1, openssl 0.9.7g
> > >
> > > While everything (nt/2000/xp/2003) work as expected in environment 1,
> > > we get 'access denied' messages when we try to connect to nt/2000
> > > machines in environment 2.  Xp and 2003 work just fine.
> > >
> > > Any clues ?
> >
> > Since you mention authentication, I assume you're asking
> > about sshd.  I also assume you've eliminated the client from
> > the equation by using the same host to ssh into the machines
> > in question.
> >
> > In what situation do you get "access denied"?  Do you use
> > public key authentication?  Are your permissions identical on
> > sshd support/config files?  Are /etc/passwd and /etc/group
> > files up-to-date on both machines?
> > Did you try running sshd with debugging flags?  Do you get
> > any messages in the log files or in the Windows Event Log?
> > What does "ssh -vvv" (yes, on the client) report when
> > connecting to both working and non-working machines?
> >
> > If worse comes to worst, and the above doesn't provide any
> > clues, there's always strace (the output of which from both
> > machines can be compared easily enough).
> > 	Igor
>
> I tested password authentication with Putty 0.53 and ssh 4.1. Both fail.
>
> Switches '-vvv' on client side and '-d -d -d' on daemon side gave no
> reasonable explanations.

Yes, but what was the difference between those on both affected systems?

> We established environment 2 (Cygwin 1.5.17, openssh 4.1p-1, openssl
> 0.9.7g) on an 2000 machine.
> Putty/ssh from an XP PC and a 2000 server gave 'access denied' errors. We
> made then  a simple update: replacing cygwin1.dll v1.5.17 with v1.5.14.
> Everything works as expected.

Again, what is the difference in the traces?

> That's reason I sent a message to this mailing list. It seems to me it
> might be something in cygwin1.dll causing the problem.

I'm sure you had your reasons for sending the message to the list, but it
would have been nice to state them initially, as we (the list) probably
won't be able to infer them.  I'd also like to refer you to the Cygwin
problem reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> --
please report the requested information for both machines.  You can also
compare those cygcheck outputs yourself, to see if there are any clues.

Lastly, apparently nobody can reproduce your problem, so a bit of
investigation on your side is going to be needed.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT