Re: Serious performance problems (malloc related?)

Might it be possible to build 2 versions and have the package
dynamically install the correct version?

On the other hand, instead of "if (win98)..." one could have a
cygwin1.dll that chooses a 2nd library to load and all entry points are
either runtime indirect calls into the 2nd library (cygwin_NT,
cygwin_nont).  The user could optimize by manually running a script that
copied the OS specific library in place of cygwin1.dll and setting a
flag in an /etc/sysconfig/libpref file so future updates of the library
could automatically install the OS-specific version when updating
the library.  To keep the option of what OS to use open, the "pointer-lib"
could be renamed to cygwin1_wrapper.dll when not used as the default.

BTW -- what % of users are still on win9x/me?  Is there any obsolescence
plan (not that I am pushing for such!)...

Just some ideas to mull around if a leaner memory footprint became
something of a priority...

linda

Christopher Faylor wrote:

OTOH, Corinna is hard at work adding low-level Nt* calls to cygwin so,
if it wasn't for the requirement that everything has to work on Windows
9x, the DLL would be smaller and faster.  Instead, every system call
currently needs to have a "do this if it's NT and that if it's 9x" test
so "we" have been slow in moving to bypass the win32 api layer on
Windows NT.

OTOH, we will rebuild it. We do have the technology.

cgf