mkpasswd and mkgroup failures

A colleague ran into problems running mkpasswd and mkgroup
on her machine, as shown below:

  Your group is currently "mkpasswd".  This indicates that
  the /etc/passwd (and possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt.
  See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
  mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
  mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
  Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.

  foo@bar ~
  $ mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
  mkpasswd (257): [1326] Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

  foo@bar ~
  $ mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group
  NetGroupEnum() failed with 1326

Searching the cygwin ML for similar instances turned up one reference
(http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-06/msg01111.html) to this
particular error, but didn't seem to provide any resolution.

One oddity I noticed was that the user was logged in using a domain
account (foo) and that there was also a local account on the machine
named "foo" as well.  I logged off of the machine, logged back in
under a different account, and was able to run "mkpasswd -l -d" and
"mkgroup -l -d" without any errors.

Has anyone else run into this or similar problems?  Am I right in
thinking that this might be a problem caused by having two seperate
accounts (one domain, one local) with the same name?

-Samrobb