Re: Please test latest snapshot

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> We would like to release 1.5.17 soon.
>
> Please try the latest snapshot, 2005-May-13, from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> Additional to a couple of bugfixes there's also a new feature which needs a
> bit of testing.  You can now list servers in the machine's domain/workgroup
> with
>
>   $ ls //

On my work machine, where there are at least 1600 machines on the network (a
changing number, based on how many employees have their machines on), `ls -
F //' takes an inordinate amount of time while stat'ing all of those machines
(serves me right for having alias ls='ls --color=auto -F').  Also, I cannot get
ctrl-C or `/bin/kill -s TERM' to interrupt the ls process while it is
attempting to access each and every one of those machines; after more than 10
minutes of waiting I gave up and used `/bin/kill -s KILL' to get that shell
back, with less than half the network traversed.

$ cd //
$ time \ls | wc -l
1723

real    0m0.133s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m0.093s
$ time ls
ls: ABITLAB20: No such host or network path
ls: ABITTST1: No such host or network path
ls: ALICEB: No such host or network path
ls: AT247: No such host or network path
ls: AUTOPOINT: No such host or network path
ls: BCASE: No such host or network path
ls: BHORNE: No such host or network path
ls: CC9032LT: No such host or network path
ls: CCOOPER: No such host or network path
ls: CDENNIS: No such host or network path
ls: CHUCK: No such host or network path
ls: CJOHNSON: No such host or network path
ls: CLS: No such host or network path
ls: CLWOOD: No such host or network path
ls: CZACHER: No such host or network path
ls: DALLEN: No such host or network path
ls: DELTMODTEST: No such host or network path
ls: DHART: No such host or network path
ls: DIGENG6: No such host or network path
ls: DLJACKSO: No such host or network path
ls: DSTATES: No such host or network path
ls: GALLEN: No such host or network path
ls: GEE: No such host or network path
ls: GRJONES: No such host or network path
ls: GSTUDE: No such host or network path
Killed

real    11m57.623s
user    0m0.186s
sys     0m1.015s
$

I don't know if there is a reasonable way to speed this up, because you want to
ensure that //machine exists before allowing `cd //machine' to succeed, but
don't want to go stat'ing every machine on the network when doing a readdir()
on //.

--
Eric Blake