gcc + cygwin

I've been using a particular set of C-code for years
on several systems (mostly linux on PC, or Unix on
some Sun) and could always get it to work when I moved
to a new machine.

Now, I'm trying to get it to work on a PC with cygwin.

cygcheck claims I have gcc version 3.3.3-3 OK.

I am NOT an experienced C or cygwin user, but the
problems I keep running into, appear to me that gcc
with cygwin behaves very differently from whatever I
had on the previous systems.

gcc -g -Wall -c flm.c
flm.c:37: error: initializer element is not constant
make: *** [flm.o] Error 1

The offending line.37 was:
FILE *ch_par=stdout,*ch_verify=NULL;

In my ignorance, I have to assume that gcc/cygwin is
not compatible with other gcc implementations. Can
that
be? Or could I have a botched installation of
cygwin+gcc?

I'd appreciate any guidance!

Norbert Nemes

Yahoo! Mail