Re: "ls" finds file1 but "ls file1" does not

> $ echo ignoring:$GLOBIGNORE options:$-
> ignoring: options:himBH
>
> $ shopt |grep glob
> dotglob         off
> extglob         off
> nocaseglob      off
> nullglob        off

OK, bash is not filtering the glob.  But you are obviously using an alias or function for ls, since it is acting like the -F option is implicitly applied (seeing the * at the end of your files).  So next, check:

$ type ls
$ alias ls

Maybe you have an alias/function for ls that includes the --hide='*.htm' option, so that ls is doing the filtering (and not bash, like I guessed before).  Also, you can escape the program name to overcome the alias - try this:

$ \ls as*

If it still fails, then it is back to permissions problems that are beyond me - your new ACLs don't seem to show any problems.  One last possibility is whether you have a Windows setting that auto-bundles html files into an invisible directory, so that when cygwin tries to list the directory contents, it gets a different list then directly spelling the listed filenames.

> By the way, where can I find documentation for the command
> $ stat -c %A .
> in your first post?  The only "stat" command I can find is a C system call.
>
> $ stat
> bash: stat: command not found

What version of coreutils are you using?  Attach the output of `cygcheck -svr' as described in cygwin.com/problems.html, then consider upgrading.  It may also be an old version of cygwin that has since been fixed that is giving you the ls error.  stat(1) is provided by coreutils, as a nice wrapper around the stat(2) system call.  Once you have upgraded, `stat --help' or `info coreutils stat' will tell you more.

--
Eric Blake