Re: DD converts LF -> CR / LF

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 08:02:30AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
>Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> writes:
>>it now defaults to the underlying mount mode when the user does not
>>specify binary or text.  In my opinion, dd should default to binary
>>when neither text nor binary is specified
>
>Hmm, overriding the explicit advice of the system administrator?  How
>common is it for file systems to be mounted in text mode?  Why would
>anyone do such a thing?  If it's sufficiently rare, then dd shouldn't
>need to worry about it.

It is not rare but, regardless, this email was the result of someone who
was surprised by the fact that dd converted LF -> CRLF.  Whether it is
common or not, I don't think it makes sense to surprise people who use
dd when it is trivial to make it work in a more UNIX-like fashion (i.e.,
do not convert LF -> CRLF).
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com