Re: Help with error in vi and man

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 06:27:59PM -0600, Trevor Osatchuk wrote:
>On 5/7/05, Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:59:22PM -0600, Trevor Osatchuk wrote:
>> >When starting up vi/vim I get the following error:
>> >
>> >E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo
>> >'cygwin' not known. Available builtin terminals are:
>> >builtin_ansi
>> >builtin_xterm
>> >builtin_iris-ansi
>> >builtin_dumb
>> >defaulting to ansi
>> >
>> >Help does not work for vim I get the error:
>> >
>> >E433: No tags file
>> >E149: Sorry, no help for help.txt
>> >
>> >Also when I type in the man command, man ls for example, all I get is
>> >(END) and no man page.  Like it paged to the end.  I don't currently
>> >have a pager environment variable.  My manpath is correct.
>> >
>> >Any ideas?
>>
>> Run the cygwin version of vim, i.e., /usr/bin/vim?  You're obviously
>> running some other version.  "which vim" would probably show which
>> version you're running.
>>
>Obviously is a strong word!  Which vim yeilds /usr/bin/vim.  I have
>seen these symtoms in other posts, though no solutions.

Ok.  Perhaps your terminfo installation is screwed up or nonexistent.

If you're scouring old posts then maybe you've come across the concept
of following the instructions at http://cygwin.com/problems.html , as
has already been sugested.  These instructions would help you send
problems in such a way that we wouldn't have to guess about things like
what version of vim you're running or whether you even have terminfo
installed.

cgf