Re: mkdir -p and network drives

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 01:25:40PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 11:08:05AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>>According to Christopher Faylor on 5/7/2005 9:43 AM:
>>>
>>> Bash is the most important program for which 'that chdir("//") is
>>> currently no different from chdir("/")'.
>>
>>Is that a bug in bash or in cygwin, though?  The comments for cygwin
>>bash-2.05b-17 mention that a patch from Corinna Vinschen was applied to
>>avoid turning '/' into '//' when converting/checking path.
>
>There is no need to speculate that this is a "bug".  You seemed to be
>reading this thread:
>
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2005-q2/msg00020.html
>
>where Pierre informs that we added a workaround in cygwin for bash.  If
>bash 2.05b-17 has Corinna's fix then the workaround is no longer needed.
>I will remove the workaround and see if things work ok.

The problem reported with '//' was apparently this:

This patch apparently was dropped from later releases of bash and, so,
the problem was re-reported a few times after that, e.g.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-02/threads.html#00190

We worked around it in cygwin here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2005-q1/msg00151.html

2.05b-17 was released for "testing" here:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-11/msg00024.html

Our bash maintainer was noticed as being MIA here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-03/threads.html#00005
(the keychain maintainer was later found to be vacationing but the bash
maintainer is still missing)

I mentioned that I'd taken 2.05b-17 out of "test" here:

The bottom line is that the current version of bash seems to not produce
'//' for root so it should be ok to remove the *workaround* in cygwin.
I will remove my workaround and generate a new snapshot.

cgf