Re: Solution, possible FAQ entry: make problem: execvp: /bin/sh: Illegal Argument

At 05:47 PM 5/6/2005, you wrote:
>[This posting is to provide future searchers with a direct hit.]
>
>This problem is (often) due to the command-line being to long for the windows execution model. To circumvent this, mount the path of the executable using the -X switch. For instance, use
>
>mount -f -X c:/cygwin/bin /bin
>
>to enable "cygexec" for all executables in that folder. This will cause cygwin to "talk directly" to another cygwin executable, and the limit disappears (or at least moves).
>
>(You can also disable it for individual files with the -x option. See the mount man page for more information.)

Actually, better to just look at Chris' message:

<http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-05/msg00081.html>

The mount commands he lists are the ones that will make everything just
work.  Unless you know what you're doing, I'd recommend that everyone who
needs/wants this functionality to set up the mounts as Chris describes.

Holliston, MA 01746