Re: postgresql and sockets

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Are you set up to debug the DLL using GDB?  If you download the latest
> snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots and set a breakpoint to
> get_inet_addr, you could step through this function until it's left.
> The first interesting information would be, from which line the function
> is left.
>
> If you're not setup to debug the DLL, I'd try to come up with some
> additional debug output for the next Cygwin snapshot.

Finally I had some time to try out the snapshot. There is no difference,
even strace output looks exactly the same.

How do I debug the DLL with gdb? I've tried doing it this way:

$ cd /bin; gdb
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
(gdb) dll-symbols cygwin1.dll
(gdb) break get_inet_addr
Cannot access memory at address 0x61046bf0
(gdb) file cygwin1.dll
Load new symbol table from "/usr/bin/cygwin1.dll"? (y or n) y
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll...done.
(gdb) break get_inet_addr

Breakpoint 1 at 0x61046bff: file
/netrel/src/cygwin-snapshot-20050503-1/winsup/c
ygwin/fhandler_socket.cc, line 55.

Now I guess I should exec psql, but I couldn't find a way to run it so
that it stops on the breakpoint.

The question "how do I debug the dll" is quite basic, but I haven't found
anything about it in the FAQ. The answer is probably in the archives, but
searching for gdb + cygwin1.dll gives way too many results. Any hints?

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba