Re: Using -mno-cygwin flag

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 05:23:58PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>>Well, duh.  If you want to USE MinGW, you have to INSTALL it.  That
>>much is obvious.
>
>I thought I did - when I installed the gcc-mingw cygwin package.

No.  The name of the package is "gcc-mingw".  Did you think that you
installed all of cygwin when you installed cygwin's gcc?  No, you
didn't.  You installed lots of other stuff, too.

gcc-mingw installs a compiler which can produce native windows binaries
sans cygwin1.dll.  That's it.

>>The point you're missing is that Cygwin is not responsible for mingw
>>and is not going to spend a lot of time adding packages to its distro.
>
>you already have the pcre package.  I want it to be built with
>"-mno-cygwin" to avoid an unnecessary dependency.

I think we understand what you want.  You want packagers to go out of
their way to produce mingw versions of some packages for your
convenience.

What we're saying is that you are not going to get that.  Instead, you
have to get the packages that you want from mingw or other sources which
provide pure-windows libraries.

>Imagine that pcre were lined with "-lhuge" where libhuge.a were just a
>huge library which did not add to the pcre's functionality.
>do you think it would be a reasonable request to re-package pcre so that
>it does not use that library?

I don't understand this analogy at all.  If pcre was linked with -lhuge and
-lhuge didn't actually add anything to pcre, then the size of pcre would be
unchanged since adding -lhuge is a no-op.

If you are trying to equate this with linking with cygwin then it still
isn't a good analogy.  What you're saying is "I want something that is
not cygwin-related.  Cygwin already has a little bit of the something.
Since Cygwin has a little bit of the something it only stands to reason
that it should provide 100% of the something.  I know that I can install
the something myself but: I don't want to think about where to get more
of the something.  I don't want to think about how to install more of
the something.  I want the something to be installed for me since you
have promised it to me by virtue of the fact that there is a tiny bit
of the something on my computer already."

Again, given the cygwin project's goals, I think there is little benefit
to anyone spending a lot of time worrying about how to bypass cygwin.  I
wouldn't necessarily turn down submission of mingw libraries but I'd
certainly have to be convinced that the person was around for the long
haul and willing to keep them up-to-date.  Corinna's MMV.  If she vetoes
this idea, then, that's fine with me.

So, gee, now all we need is a volunteer.

cgf