Re: pwd vs $PWD, bash, cygwin vs Linux

But what if it is *not* your Makefile, but someone
else's, e.g. the many GNU source packages that expect
bash behavior?  Surely you don't intend that ordinary
users (well, OK, anyone compiling from a source
package isn't really "ordinary") should modify every
package maintained by GNU in order to make it under
cygwin, do you?

With respect,

Peter

P.S. - If there have already been discussions or if
there already exists documentation on why ash vs. bash
(I gather it is for performance reasons), I'd
appreciate (a) pointer(s) so I could better learn the
history so I don't re-hash settled issues.

--- Christopher Faylor
<Snipped>