sshd problem: setgid: Invalid argument

When I try to log into my Windows Server 2003 SP1 machine over ssh, I get the following error and my connection is closed after typing my password:

$ ssh username@machine
username@machine's password:
Last login: Wed May  4 14:04:26 2005 from mymachine
setgid: Invalid argument
Connection to machine closed.

I am running a relatively recent version of Cygwin on the machine (from this spring), and everything had been working fine until I made the following error, blowing away my /etc/group file while logged into the machine over ssh.

mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group

I searched the web and the best I could find was that perhaps my user didn't have a valid group on the machine, but, that's not the case.

I've tried reinstalling the OpenSSH package, removing the sshd user from the system, and various other combinations of tricks, but, no change.

Can anyone suggest a fix short of reinstalling all of Cygwin on that machine?

Thanks,

Doug

--
Douglas S. J. De Couto