Re: GCC header libraries ... ?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:30:45 -0800, Jacob Lane, MCP
<jacoblanemcp@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Excellent ... now we're getting somewhere! ;-)
>
> So, my follow-up question is: did you just know that from prior expereince,
> or were you able to look that up somwhere?
>
> Jake
>
> "Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote in message
> 20050330172036.GC7144@cygbert.vinschen.de">news:20050330172036.GC7144@cygbert.vinschen.de...
> > On Mar 30 07:54, Jacob Lane, MCP wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > Sorry if this is a newb question, but I am somwhat new to Cygwin and
> trying
> > > to write / compile programs using GCC. One thing I noticed is that when
> > > try to compile code from others, I seem to be missing some header
> libraries.
> > >
> > > For example, in one recent program:
> > >
> > > #include <arpa/nameser.h>
> > >
> > > I have had others tell me that on their native Linux installs, they have
> the
> > > nameser.h library -- so it seems to be just me (using Cygwin) that is
> having
> > > the issue.
> >
> > That's not a Cygwin problem.  You just missed to install the appropriate
> > development packages.  In the above case you'll get the file by installing
> > minires-devel.
> >

> > Corinna
> >
> > --
> > Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
> > Cygwin Project Co-Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> > Red Hat, Inc.

Some people might just know that, but we mortals who don't can find it
on the Cygwin Package Search at:
   http://cygwin.com/packages/

(You can also get to it from the links on the left side of
http://www.cygwin.com).

>From there, search for "nameser.h", or even "arpa/nameser.h" to search
a little more precisely.  To avoid the likely confusion for this
particular case, note that there are a number of -src packages listed,
including cygwin-<version>-src that include that file as well.
Generally, you don't want the -src packages unless you intend to build
that particular package, so that the minires-devel module mentioned
previously.

Jon