Errors in #include files when compiling a Legacy C++ Application

Hi!

Our legacy C++ application was written on SGI IRIX using older compiler
features.  Last year, we ported it to SuSe Linux (both 8.2 and 9.1).  We
have had a few challenges, but nothing big.  Recently, I have been asked to
get the application to run on MS-Windows, with very little time.  I looked
around, and have found 2 possible solutions Cygwin and VmWare.

I installed Cygwin yesterday with no errors.  I moved my source onto the
MS-Windows PC, and tried to compile.  At first, several include files could
not be found (we had similar problems in the Linux port).  I found the
files, and changed my makefile.  Then, there were a lot of errors, but they
were in the include files.  I started to look inside the include files, but
it was confusing.  I am including the beginning of the source file that
won't compile, a file with the error messages, my makefile, and an included
"sub" make file (make.source).  The makefile uses an environment variable
(OSTYPE) that is set by SuSe to "linux".  I have manually set this variable
before calling make.

I am confused, because the two flavors of SuSe use g++ 3.2 and 3.3.4, and
there wasn't a big problem going from 3.2 to 3.3.4.  Since Cygwin uses g++
3.3.3, I would think that the code that works on 3.3.4 (SuSe 9.1) would be a
no brainer.  I think there must be something simple that I have done wrong.
I have looked at your FAQ, and made several searches on the mailing lists,
and have not found this problem, so I hope you don't mind helping me.  If
there is any other info that would help in diagnosing the problem, please
let me know.  (Is there a way to send you a list of packages that I
installed, perhaps something is missing or I installed conflicting items).

I will monitor the mailing list for replies.

Thanks!

Brian K. Whatcott
Senior Software and Systems Engineer
Millennium Engineering Integration