Re: rxvt problem: Prompt doesn't look very nice

Mikael writes:
> "Jonathan Arnold" wrote:
> > Mikael wrote:
> >> Hello, I just tried rxvt because I wanted to replace the hopeless cmd
> >> window. However, the "prompt" (not sure that is the correct word) doesn't
> >> look very nice, here it is copied and pasted:
> >> \[\033]0;\w\007
> >> \033[32m\]\u <at> \h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> >> $
> >> It looks similar, if not the same, as the result when I tried to set bash
> >> as the default shell for a native Windows Emacs cvs version. I guess the
> >> \[\033]0;\w\007
> >> \033[32m\]\u <at> \h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\] should display the cwd if it
was
> >> working correctly, yes?
> >
> > These are ansi escape sequences, which won't work "inside" emacs, because
> > it isn't an ANSI terminal.
> >

> I really really hope that someone makes it work some day (I wish I had the
> knowledge to contribute), because it's on my top-three list of outstanding
> issues I have with Cygwin (admittedly indirectly in this case because I use
> a native Emacs version). My other issues mostly revolve around being unable
> to build certain program ootb on cygwin.

If you are using Emacs >=21.1; try the following elisp
   (add-hook 'comint-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

You should see the colors properly in emacs.  (Essentially Emacs interprets the
escape sequences and emulates them with the appropriate emacs features.)

> > As for rxvt, those should work just fine.  See this FAQ for a little bit
> > more info and a pointer to the rxvt docs:
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC65
> >
> > --
>
> Thanks for the link, now it looks much better. Now I just need to find a
> font I like. Thanks for replying so quickly Jonathan with such excellent
> help, it helps make this world a kinder place.

Are you sure you are using `bash' as your shell?  The ability to use "visible"
escape sequences for colors et al. rather than the actual control characters in
the prompt variables is a `bash' feature.  I see what you are seeing when I use
`sh' or `ksh' and have the `bash'-style prompt settings.

The reason I think this is that `bash' would not write out the \[ and \]
sequences as part of the prompt.  These are fenceposts used to identify
portions of the prompt string that take up no physical space on the output
line.  This permits `bash' to calculate how long the prompt string actually is
so that wrapping and editting look correct.