Re: ssh-host-config patch

At 04:04 PM 3/13/2005 -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>
>> This patch makes ssh-host-config handle the case where the user
>> has renamed the Administrators group in /etc/group or has several
>> entries with the same SID (e.g. also root).
>
>Pierre,
>
>Do you ming explaining how this patch makes it any better if the user
>deleted all entries with SID S-1-5-32-544 from /etc/group?  Even if
>"mkgroup -l" does return an administrators entry, not having it in
>/etc/group means the script can't assign the sshd_server account to it.
>At least, the current script will pick the first available one...

Igor,

The reason I sent the patch is that I had a root and an Administrators
entries. The script used both simultaneously, which resulted in failure.

If the user has deleted all entries, the script should still work fine
because mkgroup -l will still produce the 544 entry and because
the "net" command does not care about /etc/group.

The "net" command wants the admins group name according to the local version
of Windows (language dependent). Using e.g. "root" won't work.

If the user had deleted all ..544 entries from /etc/group, I wouldn't be
surprised if there were no problem with the script and with most of cygwin.
Some things would break, of course, such as scripts or programs that
"chgrp admins", or network logins of users with admins as their primary group.

Pierre