Re: Problems starting SSHD

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Jeff Silverman wrote:

sshd : PID 1696 : starting service `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation
not permitted.

Here's the "real" incantation:

cygcheck /usr/sbin/sshd.exe | sed -ne 's,\\,/,g' -e '/cygwin/p' | \
 xargs cygpath -u | xargs chmod a+x

Sorry for letting that test bit through...

(as is, on 2 lines -- just cut-and-paste to your shell).

Also, "chmod a+x /bin".

and

sshd : PID 2548 : starting service `' failed: redirect_fd: open (1,
/var/log/sshd.log): 13, Permission denied.

Try "chmod a+x /var /var/log" and
"chown SYSTEM.SYSTEM /var/log/sshd.log && chmod 644 /var/log/sshd.log"

I have attached the output of cygcheck -svr as the file
cygcheck)output.txt.
What else should I look at, please?

It's always a good idea to check permissions on anything that might be
used in a program running as service, just to make sure that the SYSTEM
user (which is used to run services, a.k.a. LocalSystem) has appropriate
access.

HTH,
Igor

I tried the incantation (You're a clever script coder) and the chmod commands but to no avail. Insofar as I can tell, system has access to all of the files it is looking for. I even tried chmod 777 /var/log/sshd.log in an effort to identify the problem..

I also went through a cygwin installation on a Windows/2000 machine using the same procedure as the Windows/2003 server machine, and it works just fine. So I conclude that there is some subtle difference between W2K3 and W2K which is tripping up Cygwin for some reason. Maybe that's naive.

Jeff