Re: disk not seen after adminstrative re-install

--- Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:
> On Mar  8 09:38, Chris Winne wrote:

> > Also, out from standard error with cygcheck, I got
> the
> > following:
> >
> > cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation()
> failed:
> > 5
> > cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation()
> failed:
> > 59
>
> This might be a result of traverse checking being
> switched on.  Try
> if you see the e drive when setting the environment
> variable CYGWIN
> so that it contains "notraverse" and read the user's
> guide about the
> CYGWIN setting "traverse".

Setting CYGWIN to "tty notraverse" at least works
around the problem.  The new install was of course,
1.5.13, while the old (and on a previous parallel
install on an identical machine) was 1.5.12.  I ended
up uninstalling and reinstalling as user, which of
course did not fix the problem.

> The best way to solve that would be to
> revisit the permissions on the toplevel directory on
> drive e.

Is that through windows?  I did go (as user) to the e:
properties-security-advanced where everyone was
allowed full control of everything, and also clicked
the "Reset permissions on all child objects..." box,
where it told me "e:\System volume information ...
access is denied".  Is that where the solution is?
This was just before setting CYGWIN to notraverse, and
did not change anything.
While in cygwin, I get the following:
$ ls -ld /cygdrive
dr-xr-xr-x  11 0 root 0 Dec 31 1969  /cygdrive
$ ls -ld /cygdrive/*
drwxrwxrwx+ 33 Administrators root 12288 Mar  8 11:12
/cygdrive/c
drwxrwxrwx+  5 Administrators root  4096 Mar  7 16:58
/cygdrive/e
dr-xr-xr-x   1 cwinne         None     0 Jun  8  2000
/cygdrive/j
dr-xr-xr-x   1 cwinne         None     0 May  5  2004
/cygdrive/k
drwxr-xr-x   1 cwinne         None     0 Nov  2 14:22
/cygdrive/l
drwxr-xr-x   1 cwinne         None     0 Mar  5 08:55
/cygdrive/p
drwxr-xr-x   1 cwinne         None     0 Mar  4 13:49
/cygdrive/q

Is it then /cygdrive that needs to be reset -- except
that it allowed access to c (as well as j k l p & q).

In any case, many thanks.  I am new to windows (and
thus cygwin), and it is nice to have some familiar
tools.