Re: Bug diff 2.8.7: Separate dir

Arend-Jan Westhoff wrote:

> Noticed that when diff is run with two differing files,
> one with and one without a directory specifier:
>         diff a someDir\b
> then all lines are reported as different.
> Whereas when both have a directory specifier:
>         diff .\a someDir\b
> output is normal.
> (Filenames, argument order or using -d seem irrelevant.
> Using / instead of \ makes output normal also:
>         diff a someDir/b
> output is normal.
> Similarly when comparing a and someDir\a as:
>         diff a someDir
> output is also normal.
> )

I cannot reproduce this, either from a bash prompt or from cmd using
your .bat file:

$ cat a

$ cat somedir\\b

$ diff a somedir\\b
2c2
< a
---

The batch file outputs:

This batch file: diffbugtest.bat

diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.7
Written by Paul Eggert, Mike Haertel, David Hayes,
Richard Stallman, and Len Tower.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.
2c2
< a
---
2c2
< a
---

It's probably a textmode/binmode issue, though I don't know why
switching between '\' and '/' as the path seperator changes it --
although the Cygwin path handling code is complex and I can't pretend to
understand it.

There was no attached cygcheck so I don't know how your mounts are setup
but from what I've read, using textmode mounts with tools like cvs and
diff is a recipe for disaster.

Brian