Re: keychain service--hanging in ssh-add

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: keychain service--hanging in ssh-add
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:16:23 -0800

Karl M wrote:

> I tracked it down. It is not a problem with keychain, openssh or cygwin.
>
> Occasionally, on this particular laptop (XP SP2), the user can reboot, log
> in and start a bash shell before all of the services are running or while
> they are still starting. Gotta love Microsoft. So that was causing the
> problem.

You can solve this by using the --dep option of cygrunsrv when you
install the service.  For example I use "--dep Tcpip" or "--dep
dnscache" for Cygwin services that depend on TCP/IP networking and/or
name resolution.

I do use --dep as needed. The problem here is the other way around. The user is logging in and starting before the service finished starting. XP in its desire to look like it starts up quickly is letting the user in very early.

So I guard against this by creating a file after the keychain service finishes launching ssh-agent...then my .profile leaves keychain alone if the service has not finished starting.

Thanks,

...Karl