Control-modified arrow keys

Sorry to bother you folks with this. I read several messages in the archive on the
topic, but am unsure of the bottom line. As I understand it in the CYGWIN console
(and in apps running under it) Control-modified arrow key combinations cannot be
distinguished from their unmodified counterparts. The same is true for the 6-Pack
keys. For example, <C-Left> and <left> are indistinguishable: both emit "\e[D".
(That is what I get when I follow ^V by either of these key combinations at the console
prompt.) The upshot is that apps like Emacs cannot distinguish between <C-left>
and <left>, say.
The messages in the archive also seemed to suggest that there is no way to coerce
either Windows or CYGWIN to remap these distinct key combinations (which have distinct
SCANCODES) to distinct escape sequences.
RXVT is not an option.
Did I miss a ray of hope?
Thanks,
Charles Davis