Cygwin configuration trouble

Hi!

I have downloaded and installed cygwin on a windows XP machine. I have used Johan Faxer's document on configuring cygwin.

Why don't my commands like ls -la work?
How can I make sure that unix commands in the cygwin bash shell work normally?
How do I place cygwin/bin in the winXP path? Might that be my problem?

I have used the net user postgres /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)" command but NO c:\cygwin\home\postgres folder is created? What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Godfrey