Re: file globbing

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 10:50, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, James Lemke wrote:
>
> > I've recently noticed a problem with Cygwin ls.  I did a quick search of
> > the archives, but didn't get any hits.  Has anyone else seen this?
> > Try: ls -dl ../tcl[7-9]*
> > Result on Linux: ../tcl ../tcl8
> > Result on Cygwin: ../tcl8
> >
> > That is, on Cygwin tcl[7-9]* does not match tcl.  I think it should.
> >
> > I have upgraded to the latest coreutils and still see the problem.
> > Comments?
>
> You were looking in the wrong place.  Globbing is done by the shell.
> Most likely it's bash.  Check your bash versions on both Cygwin and Linux.
> Also, check the shell settings (shopt).
>
> FWIW, "*" in bash usually means "anything", not "any number of occurrences
> of the previous expression" (i.e., globs aren't regular expressions).  But
> YMMV.
> 	Igor

Ahem... sorry.  I'm mistaken.  It doesn't match ../tcl (in bash) on
either Linux or Cygwin, and it shouldn't.
The configure problem I'm looking at is something else.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

--
James Lemke   jim@TheLemkes.ca   Orillia, Ontario
1992 ST1100, STOC #3750;   FWD# M:245401 H:246889