Re: Memory for large arrays in cygwin/g77

Charles D. Russell wrote:
Dante Chialvo wrote:

I think the following quote is from a message of mine...

> I have the same problem. I have g77, g95 and >grfortran (gfc) installed (see below). With >heap_chunk_in_mb set to 1024, on a machine with >1024 MiB RAM< I can run a simple Fortran >program with an array of up to ~ 1023 MiB. With >g77 & gfc the limit is 156 MiB and beyond that >it fails with something like

 gfctest.exe (844): *** MapViewOfFileEx(0x224, in_h 0x224)
 failed, Win32 error 6

I was using large fortran arrays with no trouble a year ago using the -Wl,--stack option to enlarge the stack, but it is no longer working for me. Same machine, but with cygwin upgrades and with SP2 for the XP pro. Something has changed.

I have these problems on Windows 2000. I suspect it is Cygwin and/or gcc that has changed.

Switching to g95 is a poor option. Both g95 and gfortran are currently beta software, and it is gfortran that is destined to replace g77 in the next version of gcc.

Right now, poor options are the only ones available.

There is now a Mingw version of gfortran. Does that help?

-- Mark Hadfield "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou" m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)