Re: Cygwin Time Machine

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Peter A. Castro wrote:

Sorry for dredging this up, but just wanted to update on a few things.

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:58:18PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > >Actually, I think this is a neat idea.  I tried to do something like it
> > >for personal use about 18 months ago -- I wanted a one-time snapshot of
> > >the cygwin-1.3.x baseline just prior to the 1.5.x transition.
> > >
> > >But I waited too long (e.g. after packages which required 1.5.x had
> > >"polluted" the server), and couldn't untangle "what was old/what was
> > >new" well enough for my taste.  So I gave up.
> > >
> > >Your mechanism is much better.  I, too, hope you don't regret it. :-)
> >
> > While I think it is a nifty idea too (I actually used this yesterday), I
> > suspect that we'll all have some heartburn over this as people stumble
> > onto it, try to "update" their distro to older versions and end up with
> > bloody stumps where their feet used to be.
>
> Well, I do warn people not taunting Happy-Fun Ball :)
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Geez... that should be "not to taunt".  Bad fingers! No biscuit! :)

> Seriously, the "time machine" should be used prudently.  I am beefing up
> the doc (which no-one ever reads, right? :) to try and head off as many
> problems as possible.  Knowledge is power.

As promised, I've update the time machine doc with bigger, bolder,
brighter (now with Chemical-C!) words of warning.  Hopefully this will
help stave off newbie questions from hitting the list.

> And, I humbly offer free antacids and bandages to everyone on the list
> who suffers at the hands (feet?) of the time machine.
>
> > However, because I'm a masochist, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good
> > idea to advertise this as "cygwin news" on the front page of
> > http://cygwin.com/.
>
> Gosh, Chris, I'm flattered you'd consider it news worthy (well,
> flattered, shocked, amazed and confused...no, wait, "confused" is my
> normal state of being :).  Obviously it's up to you all.

It's been a few weeks, and nothing bad has happened.  I see several
people have made use of the time machine and it hasn't been much of a
strain on my servers at all, so I will continue to maintain the time
machine as a service to the community.

I guess I would like to make this official as "cygwin news", but I'm not
quite sure what to say.  I'll ponder that and submit something later.

> > Also, (oh boy, what fun!) it would be nice if snapshots were archived, too.
> Hmm... I think I can do that too.  Lemme look into it.

I have looked into this and I am now archiving snapshots, as of 01/25/2005.
All snapshot archives will be kept here:
  ftp://www.fruitbat.org/ftp/pub/cygwin/snapshots/

This took a little more effort than I was expecting, because the
robots.txt file prevents me from just grabbing them via wget (if there's
a way to make wget ignore robots.txt, I'd love to know it!), so I ended
up having to extract href's from index.html and pull everything that way.
As long as the link format in index.html doesn't change too much, this
will continue to work fairly well.

I plan to make them available through the time machine, but for now, they
are available via ftp.  If people have kept earlier snapshots and would
be willing to send them to me (or provide a link for me to pull them), I
will add them to the collection.

Thanks!

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>