Re: Lynx - Unable to Shell

On Jan 25 09:08, Steven Read wrote:
> Corinna,
>
> Thanks very much for nailing this one. I had checked the environment
> before posting my original message:

No, apparently you didn't...

> sread@topaz ~
> $ set|grep SHELL
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor

... because `set' only prints the internal variables of ash/bash, not
the variables exported into the environment.  If you want to print
the environment, call `env'.

> What got me was that I had not done an export on any of the environment
> variables. Pordon my ignorance but what did I miss here?

This has been discussed already two(?) years ago when bash version 2.05
saw the light.  It's mentioned also in /usr/share/doc/bash-2.05b/CHANGES,
line 576:

w.  Bash no longer auto-exports HOME, PATH, SHELL, or TERM, even though it
    gives them default values if they don't appear in the initial environment.

Bash expects SHELL to be set by the invoking login mechanism.  Add
`export SHELL' to your own .profile and you're all set.

>  Really I did read the FAQ. By the way
> could I persuade you to release the API in PDF format?)

HTML is working fine.  I don't see the advantage of PDF over HTML.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.