Re: Fw: bug in texi2dvi, and hack patch

> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:34:21 +0100
> From: Stepan Kasal <kasal@ucw.cz>
> Cc: dave@boost-consulting.com, bug-texinfo@gnu.org, akim@epita.fr, ebb9@byu.net,
> 	cygwin@cygwin.com
>
> Fix the problem exactly as reported:
> the configure script tests for the problem:
>
> 	AC_SUBST(TESTF, "test -f")
> 	testfile=conf$$.exe
> 	touch $testfile
> 	if test -x $testfile; then
> 		test -f $testfile || TESTF=:
> 	fi
> 	rm -f $testfile
>
> and use
> 	for dir in $PATH; do
> 	  if test -x "$dir/$1" && @TESTF@ "$dir/$1"; then
> or
> 	testf="@TESTF@"
> 	for dir in $PATH; do
> 	  if test -x "$dir/$1" && $testf "$dir/$1"; then
>
> in texi2dvi.in .

Could you please annotate this with explanations of how/why this is
supposed to work correctly?  I have trouble following the convoluted
logic, perhaps because I don't know enough about Autoconf.  (I also
don't know what results you expect from "test -x foo.exe" when foo.exe
is an empty file produced by "touch foo.exe".)

> Another way to fix the problem is to adopt the solution used by autoconf:
> make sure that the variable $ac_executable_extensions, which is set in
> config.site on some platforms, gets substituted:
>
> 	AC_SUBST(ac_executable_extensions)
>
> and put the following to texi2dvi.in:
>
> 	for dir in $PATH; do
> 	  for exec_ext in '' @ac_executable_extensions@; do
> 	    if test -f "$dir/$1" && test -x "$dir/$1"; then

I'm okay with this method, provided that ac_executable_extensions can
be computed reliably (you didn't say how).