RE: update on hyperthreading system for cgf

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Well, yeah.  I sort of need a hard disk, though and is that system
> *guaranteed* to exhibit this problem?

This motherboard, case, and power supply are the core of my desktop machine and
the machines I build for clients.  The 2.4C processor and 256 MB of RAM
represent skimping to get the price down to near $400.00.  Honestly, if you're
going to build a new hyperthreading box for yourself, spend the money to do it
right.  You're a developer and power user; time is money.  $600 vs. $400 now
will save you countless hours over the next several years.

I have a Pentium 4 2.8E GHz processor; current is 3.0E.  I recommend it for
power users and SOHO servers (+$32.00):

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-171&DEPA=0

I have and recommend 1 GB of matched pair DDR 400 for 800 MHz FSB Pentium 4
systems (+$94.00):

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-423&depa=0

Here's the hard drive I use in all systems ($59.79):

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-122&depa=0

Here's the script running on my machine:

dpchrist@p42800e:~/mydocuments/cygwin-issues/hyperthreading$ cat test
#! /bin/ksh
mypath=$(pwd)
while [[ ! -z $mypath ]]
do
    mypath=$(pwd)
    if [[ -z $mypath ]]
    then
        echo "Test Failed......Path is empty"
    fi
done

When I fire it up in two Cygwin Bash windows, one or the other fails within 3 to
10 seconds:

Trial #1:

dpchrist@p42800e:~/mydocuments/cygwin-issues/hyperthreading$ ./test
Test Failed......Path is empty

Trial #2:

<CVSENV>dpchrist@p42800e:~/mydocuments/cygwin-issues/hyperthreading$ time ./test
      4 [exiting thread] pdksh 3684 cygthread::stub: erroneous thread activation

(shell locked)

Trial #3:

dpchrist@p42800e:~/mydocuments/cygwin-issues/hyperthreading$ time ./test
      4 [exiting thread] pdksh 2532 cygthread::stub: erroneous thread activation

(shell locked)

Trial #4:

dpchrist@p42800e:~/mydocuments/cygwin-issues/hyperthreading$ time ./test
Test Failed......Path is empty