Re: Very strange rxvt problem - game hangs when it is running

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Jonathan Arnold wrote:

1] Run "Day of Defeat" - connects and runs just fine.

2] Start rxvt.  Try "DoD" again. It gets about halfway through its
startup process, then hangs.

3] Quit rxvt and try again. "DoD" works fine.

I tried the same procedure with the regular Cygwin bash shell, and
it behaves the same way.

Do you mean that the regular Cygwin bash shell makes DoD hang too? As in, start a Command Prompt, run cygwin.bat from it, and DoD still hangs?

More or less. I have a shortcut with the following:

D:\WINNT\system32\CMD.EXE /c D:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

And that makes DoD hang just like rxvt does.

Any ideas on what it could be?

A WAG, and I may be really off on this: Cygwin uses TCP/IP sockets (which essentially require a TCP/IP port) to emulate Unix domain sockets. If rxvt reserves a Unix domain socket (even if it's not using X), and DoD tries to access the same port, because it's somehow predefined and it expects it to be free, there could be a conflict. I can't think of anything else in Cygwin that would interfere with a (presumably) non-Cygwin application.

Well, unless the regular bash shell does it too, that probably isn't correct. Like I said, it is very weird and it took me some time to figure it out.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Amazing Developments       http://www.buddydog.org

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages. -
 William H. Mauldin