RE: Problem running cygrunsrv with non SYSTEM accounts

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Aitken, Sean wrote:

> > On Jan 18 10:01, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > > Ugh, top-posting...  Also, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > What about adding the "TOFU" acronym for these purposes?  Otherwise
> > you're missing to critizise the fullquote.
>
> My sincere apologies. I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of mailing
> lists. I prefer forums with notification capabilities, personally.
> Thanks for the tip though! Also, I'm using Outlook (*gag*) at work which
> doesn't seem to have the option to not quote emails. Again, I apologize.

No problem.  As Dave said, there *is* such an option, and Googling for
PCYMTNQREAIYR should give you some pointers.
Aside to Corinna: here's a clear demonstration of what I was talking
about: both broken threading and missing quoted context.

> Regarding the problem running cygrunsrv, I appreciate the help. I have
> done the following:
> - Checked the event log - Nothing there except indicators of service
> start attempt (and failure after I forcefully kill cygrunsrv)
> - Checked for sshd.log - It's never created
> - Permissions in /var/log allow for any user to write (verified)
>
> I created a simple test service "test" that runs "/usr/bin/env" under my
> domain account (with local admin privs), and should output to
> "/var/log/test.log". The logfile never seems to be created. Also, the
> output in the event log is:
>
> - System: The test service was successfully sent a start control.
> .. There was nothing else in the security or application log.

Did you follow my advice (which you snipped from your reply) and actually
try to install a non-Cygwin service using pure Windows tools?  Does *that*
service work under the sshd_server account?

> Are there debug symbols that I need to use WinDbg against cygrunsrv? I
> hate having to go down this road as it will kill a lot of time. Any
> pointers are greatly appreciated!
>
> I'll see what I can do with tracing and debugging.. I'm not feeling very
> optimistic at this point.

Before you spend a lot of time trying to debug Cygwin tools, why not try
to see if there's some pure Windows configuration problem?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT